Friday, May 27, 2011

You Asked For It......Sulta-li-a-no!


I haven't a clue why I bestowed him an "Italian-themed-nickname," it simply flew from my mouth as freely as the word shit crap does.

I will never forget the night Sultan arrived.  His flight was late therefore the Mr picked him up alone.  I remember the Mr calling and saying "we've got our self a big one," like he was out fishing for another son or such.  Men. 

If I may speak type openly and honestly, as a mother, I certainly had my reservations about a young boy moving into a home with two young children----I believe any mother would.  As with most decisions, I went with my gut (and the mr's) and our guts didn't lie. 

That amazing, miraculous, wondrous night, was the beginning of a family taking a new shape--a rounder shape--a completed circle. 

What he has taught our children, heck! what he has taught us about teenagers, is priceless. 

But I bet what you really want to know is HOW he came to be OURS.  His father is a friend of our adoption agencies liaison whom accompanied us to Kyrgyzstan for our first visit.  One night, he took us out to dinner and dancing (and I had to eat horse).  We immediately clicked, despite the fact that we spoke no Russian and he spoke no English.  One would say something then wait for the translator and the table would erupt in chuckles.  We exchanged e-mails and kept in touch. 

Sultan is a US citizen but lived in Kyrgyzstan with his family until his sophomore year of high school in which he was sent to live with extended family in Colorado.  Unfortunately for his senior year, the extended family underwent a financial crisis and could no longer look after Sultan.  His dad called us in a panic one evening and we agreed, just like that. 

Jalyn and Leila refer to Sultan as "brother" as well as Leila.  We are privileged to call him a son and will forever look after his needs, guide him through life and laugh at all the silly, and sometimes inappropriate jokes we share together.

Life is certainly a little more sweet these days.

Now----were off to Michigan!  Can't wait to catch up with old friends, family and feel the arms of Michigan firmly wrapped around my soul. 

XOXO
Rie

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing!!! He sounds like he was obviously hand picked by God to be right where he is! Thinking of you lots...every time I finger my little Luke thumbprint charm, I think of you and how blessed I am to know you!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete